Thursday, November 8, 2007

Campus

GW usually tells incoming freshman that despite the fact that it is essentially a "city school," there is, in fact a campus. I never truly believed this. While I love GW, I have always felt that there was a distinct college campus feeling that I was missing by being a student at this university. That is, until tonight. I was walking home to Fulbright Hall from 1957 E Street, a building that for all intents and purposes is not really a part of the GW Foggy Bottom "campus." It was fading to darkness and the city was rather peaceful, an atmosphere I haven't felt for quite some time. Well, an atmosphere I haven't felt before the hours of 3-6 in the morning. As I walked up 20th street and turned into University Yard, I couldn't help but notice a completely different feel. There were people studying and eating on the terraces outside the Law School buildings, a couple of guys playing guitar on benches, and several people congregating, debating where they were heading to eat. As I turned on to H street and started the final stretch to my home, the formerly sullen, distant feeling I had walking up a non GW owned street evaporated. The main stretch of university property was alive with students moseying around, gathering, talking, laughing, and going about their lives as students. It was as if this was an island surrounded by a city rather than a small piece of grander whole.

It's nice to call this home.

No comments: