Monday, September 14, 2009

A 9/11 Parody: "Too Soon" Can't Exist

Collegehumor recently created a spoof of the 9/11 tragedy by relating it to the destruction of the Death Star at the end of Star Ward IV: A New Hope.

Follow this link to the video

Some comparisons made (spoiler):

-Luke is Osama, hiding in a cave in the Degoba system.

-One stormtrooper was on his way to the death star that morning but hit traffic

-A stormtrooper thinks its all a cover up and Palpatine knew about it the whole time


This, of course, caused mixed feelings in the comment section of the page. A barrage of "too soon" and "I don't know how to feel about this" style comments started piling up. This was to be expected as many people believe any tragedy is off limits to parody lest someone's feelings be hurt. (but more on this later)

While, yes, I agree that some jokes are in poor taste (I'm looking at you 4chan), this was not a video making fun of the World Trade Center attacks. This was a video making fun of the monotonous conversations that happened ever 9/11 from 2002-present. Where were you when it happened? Did you know anyone? Who do you think is responsible? Some viewers took note of this style, accepted it as a clever parody, and enjoyed what bit of humor we can pull out of this tragedy. Others chose to take the offensive towards the offended. I was upset to find people using the phrase "Get Over It." Like many tragedies before it, 9/11 cannot be forgotten. It was a horribly dark time in our nations past where we never knew when we were safe. The time following the attacks did, however, bring a great brotherhood to our nation (outward racism aside). The Red Cross saw record blood donations and New Yorkers, DC residents, and the nation as a whole banded together, feeling even more pride than thought possible. America cannot simply get over these feelings

We can, however, find ways to get by. On September 11, 2001 I was in the 8th grade in Wilton, CT, a small town about 1 hour out of the city. We were all terrified. Friends were frantically calling parents who worked in the financial district, students were crying, teachers were crying, and our principal could barely get out the words describing what had happened.

When I got home, I watched every channel follow coverage of what had happened. I sat and watched the same 5 clips of one testament of man's technological triumph destroy another. Two days later, I could not take any more. I needed release. I needed something to make me feel something other and confusion, pain, and fear. So I turned to Nickelodeon. Rocket Power, my favorite cartoon at the time, was playing. Despite the events transpiring less than 70 miles from my home, I was able to smile, and I was able to realize that there would be life after these events. We, as a nation would not stay in a dark age of stoicism as emotions such as joy and happiness passed us by.

It is no surprise to anyone that knows me that I love nothing more than a strong piece of comedy. I have committed countless hours to listening to, memorizing, and re-telling bits, routines, and jokes that I have discovered. Events like 9/11 and the months that followed instilled in me the idea that one joke can change the world.

It was 9 days later, on September 20, 2001 that Jon Stewart, one of my heroes, returned to his post at the Daily Show. Before a desperate audience sat a man, beaten and broken by a horrible tragedy. But through his tears, he was able to make an audience laugh. Through his pain, he was able to instill hope that even when the sun sets, it will rise again in the morning.

This is his opening monologue that night.

The Daily Show With Jon StewartMon - Thurs 11p / 10c
September 11, 2001
www.thedailyshow.com
Daily Show
Full Episodes
Political HumorHealthcare Protests


"It's a country that allows open satire, and I know that sounds basic. And it sounds as though it goes without saying. But that's really what this whole situation is about. It's the difference between closed and open."

"This attacked happened. It is not a dream. But the aftermath, is a dream realized."

The idea of "too soon" cannot exist. We cannot let a tragedy live only as that. We have comedy to help us get by. We have comedy to help get past the harsh memories of our past by finding bright sides and silver linings. If you can't find humor in tragedy then it becomes impossible to bear. We have to enjoy what pieces of that dark time we can. We take the darkness of pain and despair, and find touches of color so it's not so painful to look back on. Even if we can't get over it, we can still get by.

No comments: