Monday, September 28, 2009

A Scene In 6 Lines

I'm taking a playwriting class this semester to work on my writing. I've enjoyed creative writing for years and always look at situations from a slightly dramatic perspective. How would everyday interactions look on stage? I feel that organic theatre should just be life with better lighting and better jokes/responses.

Here's a scene I wrote relying on the lack of context. What elements can turn a nostalgic scene tragic?

------------------------------------

Leaving: a scene in 6 lines
Setting: foyer/entry room of house or apartment. Window and door.
John: stoic and calm with a twinge of annoyance
Becca: Flustered. Doing her best to linger.

John: Have you packed your bags? The car will be here any minute

Becca: I think so. I just have to check the kitchen. There are so many drawers and cabinets there, I’m sure I forgot something.

John: All right. Did you check under the bed? We want to make sure everything’s packed.

Becca: Yea, I’m pretty sure I have everything. (pause) I’m really going to miss this place.

John: I know. (looks out the window) The car’s here. It’s time to go.

Becca: (long pause, starts to cry) John, I’m sorry. If you ever change your mind about this, please call me. (notices John’s stone face). Ok… bye John.

No comments: