Thursday, July 9, 2009

Cubicle Decoration 1

I work in a cubicle. 3 and a half walls separate me from the rest of the working world. Though Comedy Central is a very interesting and exciting world, our work space is drab, covered in white paint and filled with little white cubes. I have taken the liberty of decorating my cubicle but seeing as I am not paid for this internship, I am only using items I have received for free from the supply cabinet and the kitchen.

This is the first thing I built while sitting at my desk waiting for something to hit my to-do list.

This is an office basketball hoop.
Items used:
- 1 coffee cup
- 1 coffee cup sleeve
- 3 unopened packs of post-it notes
- 3 push pins
- 2 crumpled up post-it notes
- tape

Creation Process.

I took the coffee cup and cut out the bottom to make the simplest element of the hoop. I then pinned this to the side of the cubicle in front of my chair and just passed my keyboard. I then crumpled up some post-its, wrapping them in tape so that they would keep their ball form.

The next step was a backboard. If I overshot this hoop, the ball would go through the space in the wall and into the cubicle next to mine. To resolve this I stacked three packs of post-its snuggly between the glass partition and the cup, resting the backboard firmly against the hoop.

The final problem was that every time I made a shot, the ball would hit the table at an odd angle and I would have to dig under my desk to find it. This problem was quickly fixed by taking part of the coffee cup sleeve and putting it underneath the hoop. I folded down one edge of the square and used 2 pins to attach it the the wall. Pinning the cardboard from the bottom insured that it would press against the bottom of the cup, catching anything that went in.

The beauty of the catching system is that now, when I want to retreive the balls, now sitting in the hoop, I press down on the cardboard and they fall easily into my hand.

Boredom in the office quickly created a cheap and useful tool for dealing with the office doldrums.

Rough estimate on cost of materials.
- Free for me
- 78 cents for comedy central

No comments: