Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Retro Blogging 3 - Lost Ipod and the blame game

I like this post a lot. I love my parents. They are wonderful people and all of my friends that have met them enjoy their company. My mom and I had a strange relationship toward the end of high school though. I lived alone with my mom for much of that time as both of my brothers were away at school and my dad worked a job that required a lot of travel. We fought from time to time because a mother and son kept in one place without other diffusing elements is a recipe for disaster. The space between my mom and me these past 3 years has actually strengthened our relationship (in my mind at least). I am much more comfortable talking to her now than I ever was as a high schooler. Part of it may be my growing up, but I feel most of it is that the time we have together is more valuable than it was when it was just us in that CT house. I'm truly blessed to have such a caring family that can provide for me. This occurance really grounded me and showed me that material objects aren't as important as the people in your life.

Bonus note: The trip to DC mentioned in this post was the visit to my brother where I decided I wanted to go to GW.

-------------------

Recently i lost an elecronic object that is on the more expensive side. There were about 7 reasons why it could have happened... most of them my fault. But of course as human nature dictates, i immediately placed blame on the only other person available (once again what child nature allows) my mom. I had this device in my hand and put it on the floor of the car as i reached into my mom's purse to grab her an advil. Then she had me fix the radio. Then she rushed me out of the car in a no parking/no stopping zone and i forgot (my fault) in the haste to pick it up. It then apparently slid out of the car and onto a street in stamford as i ran up to catch my train to d.c.... which i was 45 minutes early for. So on my train, i silently curse my mom and in my head she is the worst person in the world because she made me lose it. But then she called me about an hour later, took the blame, and then offered to replace it as an early birthday present. Nothing makes you feel more horrible than someone else taking the blame for something you subconsciously know was your fault. I could have put this thing on my pocket, i could have put it in my backpack, i could have taken my time getting out of the car. But instead i foolishly left it lying around and then in turn, lost it. So the person i was just so pissed at was all of a sudden the source for an extreme guilt trip. She took the blame that i personally gave to her in order to rationalize my loss. It's times like these that it's time to pause and reflect. First off, don't be too quick to place blame on someone when you know it wasn't completely their fault. And also, appreciate your parents, they give you the world, and often times we forget that.

On a lighter note, here's the incredibly fun people i sat near on the train home from D.C.
-Some college-aged guy from New Haven - really nice, wished me a safe trip when he got off at his stop, a little too open about how much he hated the price he payed for his ticket (he payed 130, most likely on his parents credit card.)
-BIG black lady, a little too obsessed with food. I went to the cafe cart to grab a hot dog, as soon as i came back she said "oh that looks good". She got up, and ten minutes later came back with two hot dogs, a coke, and two snicker bars.
-Ok this next lady and her son were my favorite. The woman was probably in her early 30s. She was good looking in a business casual sort of way if that makes sense, and she was a good conversationalist. Her son (probably around 6) was well mannered and incredibly polite. When i got off the train at my stop she said "it was a pleasure to meet you" and her son said "have a nice evening"
-Finally, a british girl who goes to UCONN and plays field hockey there. And oh my god was she hot. Very very attractive face and a british accent... take me mystery stranger

so yeah, that second part had no point, put its interesting to summarize people and think about how you would be summed up if someone else did.

No comments: